Sunday, July 31, 2011

Meeting With Friends

I have to fess up. I have met Internet friends. Yes, it makes me sound like a crazy person. You see, many years ago when I was in the hospital after having Niko I plugged an old computer in (we are talking dial up style) and found a group of women who were all dealing with the grief associated with stillbirth. When your baby dies, many people in real life just don't know what to do. I was lucky to have a few good in real life people. Still, I needed people I could just type to and then come back to later. Not only that, you can take as long as you need to when responding. I found many dear friends there that first year.

Now, 12 1/2 years later, I have met several of them. One in particular has become a great friend. My kids are friends with hers and we see each other whenever we are in the same state.

This past weekend I got to meet another on of my Internet friends. She and her family were on a family vacation and she snuck away long enough to have dinner with 3 of us that live in the state. It was supposed to be a kid free night, but that didn't work out because I had to bring T along. (It was planned for after his LC meet.) I've met the other two ladies on a few occasions before and I so knew we could start chatting it up. I figured it would be the same with Lisa. Heck, I totally know all about her family, what they like to do, etc. And I was right. It was so easy to sit down and just start chatting about everything. (I did refrain from eating off her plate though ;) ) The nice thing is that although we did spend some time talking about our stillborn babies, we have much more to talk about.

Every time I meet some of these Internet friends (my only Internet friends are from what I call the dead kids group) I remember that it is a gift given to me from my boys, specifically from Niko, since his arrival sent me looking for them.

T kind of zoned out on a video game. (The poor kid only owns a Leapster Didj, but was thrilled that I let him play it in a restaurant which is so not something I would usually allow.) He periodically popped into the conversation to remind me to tell them something. But for the most part he was happy to eat and play the math game.

Anyway, it was a great night. I love how so far the real life person matches what the person I have created in my mind.

1 comment:

vicky said...

that's awesome Heather! For the first 4 years or so of Lauren's illness we didn't know anyone else in our sort of same situation...and I found a group of mom's who really helped me too. They were all over the united states and it was a lifesaver. Unfortunately I never did get to meet any of them but I still write with a couple to this day. Technology! :)