Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Brag on D

D has had some of his best days the last couple. He has been working so hard to control his temper and has genuinely been helpful. He hasn't been perfect, but what five year old is. I saw him today get frustrated with another kid that was cutting in line and he managed to hold it together and just wait. That is a huge deal for him. His eyes have been all sparkly too. I hope he has felt as good inside as he has been acting. He deserves it.

S, on the other hand, has had two very hard days. Yesterday she fussed for over half of her waking hours because she would not do her 3 minutes of time out. She just would not do it. She would sit there and almost comply but wouldn't do it completely. I hate to even admit how long it took her. Finally she had to go to the bathroom so badly (after I made the mistake of letting her get up once to go) that she wanted to sit in timeout quietly for 3 minutes. She knew what she had to do the entire day. Today, while I was gone shopping, DH caught her with her hands around C's neck again. C had something she wanted and she was angry at her. Luckily, C has a mouthful of teeth that bite quite well. So she lost her outside playing privileges. She did her timeout first thing though. Then, tonight, while DH had T on a daddy date she had to go to timeout again. She just wouldn't give in. She sat there and tried to get out of it for an hour and a half. Finally she had to go potty badly enough that she would sit there quietly for her three minutes. She is just so desperate to be in control and she really thinks she can outlast us. When is she going to figure out that she can't. She wasn't thrilled tonight because all of our dinner was gone by the time she got off and she ended up with black beans and broccoli (not mixed). It was super healthy and probably better for her than what we had but she wasn't thrilled. It is very disheartening for me each time she does something to C or the dog. I will start to think we are making progress and then she does that.

I'm glad DH is home from his trip. It's exhausting having the kids for the whole week by myself. It's easier than I thought it would be. I think it's because I dropped my expectations a bit. I'm really grateful to have him home.

Positive Note-The boys managed to sit through a small chapter book (Magic School Bus) in two days. They are finally gaining some patience.

No comments: