Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Week's Worth of Info

I have a bunch to catch up on. Of course, I have no idea if I have 3 minutes or 20 to type so I will just cruise through things somewhat backwards.

Today our family went racing. Dh's goal was to set a PR and he did it. As we were driving through part of the route to get to the race DH commented on how it seemed much more hilly than he remembered. He won his division. It helps that he is a giant and is probably the skinniest Clydesdale in the race. He actually probably is the skinniest as he is only about a half a pound above the weight minimum and at a half a foot or more taller than most of them. We ran into someone from our town there and she commented that her first thought when he went up to get his medal was that he couldn't be a Clydesdale. But he is. He is just a lanky one. I really like this race.

Speaking of racing, I did a race last Saturday. For a 5k it was a really big race. This is how the race played out. It was raining that morning. I was a little bit worried as that might get rid of a bunch of the slow pokes like myself. Nevertheless, I get up and head on over there. If nothing else, I got a kidfree ride in the car. It was really chilly and breezy (okay and still raining) before the race started so I just kind of hung out. When it came time for the race I headed to the the back of the pack. That is a race rule. If you are slow, head back. I guess people just don't all know this rule because there were tons of pokey people that were middle front of the packers. If you are pushing a double stroller and having your 3 year old get out and in to run then you don't start at the front. I thought I was going to get a PR that day but I didn't. Instead I found families of walkers joining hands as they appeared to be playing red rover. So I was trying to get around them and just wasn't feeling their family solidarity. Then the big hill came. I huffed and puffed up it and almost decided to walk but decided to plug along. In my vision at the top I saw a kid (maybe 11 or 12) dressed in black jeans, a black shirt, and skater shoes jogging along in the gutter hitting every stinkin' puddle he could find. I was CERTAIN I could pass someone who was using so much energy jumping in puddles. I couldn't. I just couldn't get past him dang it. But I did finish and told myself that I could take off at least a minute because it took that long to get to the start line in the beginning. This race had fabulous giveaways. I didn't manage to win anything but it was still fun to see them giving away trampolines, bikes, Little Giant ladders, etc.

Now onto our week. It was CRAZY! We are just so dang busy now with everything. For example, this is how Tuesday went. I got up and went running at 6am. I came home and got ready for the day and left with S shortly before 8 am for her therapy appointment. We came home and picked up everyone and took D to his summer camp pickup spot. The van was late and we had to zoom over to T's friend's house because he is coming to our house on Tuesdays and then leaving about 45 minutes later to go to the summer reading program with T. (Hence another trip out.) The reading program isn't long (only 45 minutes) so I came home and switched out the seat on my bike and pumped up the tires on that and the bike trailer and then gave the girls a few rides. We went and picked T up using the bike from the school and came home for lunch. I then picked up two neighbor girls and took the kids to ballet lessons. During ballet, the two youngest went with me to the mall to find DH some pants to go golfing in. We picked up the girls and came home to drop off the neighbor kids and then headed down to pick up D from his van. All of that happened before 3:30 in the afternoon. Most days are similar. Some days we don't have the summer reading program but we have violin lessons and on others we have t-ball. It's crazy. I'm not getting a whole lot done around my house.

In fact, I felt so out of it all week and couldn't find my cell phone. I found it this morning. I guess I had plugged it in last week to charge. It was where it was supposed to be the entire time and I never looked there. I scoured the car looking for it though. Brilliant!

Speaking of that Tuesday. I hurt my knee while biking. I'm I thought maybe I just strained it or something. It has been tender above my left knee a little bit to the left of center. I was doing a little research today and I tried this test where you bend your knee at a 25 degree angle and then check out your knee camp. Something in there totally moved and popped. And of course, I don't know if it helps that I have had some pain in the back of my knee and continue to feel a little popping there. I don't know how in the heck I could have hurt it biking. I went maybe 3 miles that entire day with the girls. So I have been taking it easy exercisewise all week. I'm not quite sure what to do about it though. It's just frustrating because I got myself up to five milers and now I am having to take a break.

My garden is coming along. I worked in it a little today. With our crazy weather we haven't had as much luck as normal. I have been trying to pull at least 100 weeds a day. Hopefully that will help keep it more manageable.

D had one super great day this week. He really tried to control his tantrums. It's not easy for him as he seems to have them as a habit. I was really proud of him. S also had one super great day. She said she felt so happy when she was acting nicely. It didn't stick though and she stomped on the dog again. I did finally get the truth out of her. She said she did it because she was mad at D for being on the swing when she wanted it. One of the other times she hurt the dog she was mad at me. We need more work on anger management.

M loved ballet this week. A couple of girls in her class got their pointe shoes this week and she was so jealous. She knows she is just too young.

T had a funny t-ball game this week. He thought he should slide into every base. What a goofball. He has also been throwing the bat. DH really talked with him about that. He's no longer spinning like a girl but he has to get out of the habit of tossing the bat after he has hit the ball.

And C, that little turkey, she is getting more and more funny. She gave up her high chair. She just wanted to sit at the table with everyone else. I went and bought a bench that will hold up to 4 little behinds and so now three of them share that space and the high chair has been donated. My friend brought her some little sparkling shoes back from Vietnam. She is trying to figure out how to keep them on her feet. She wants to wear them so badly but just can't keep them on. The first day she grabbed one of them and banged it on the wall when it kept falling off.

Oh and DH and I celebrated our 15th anniversary this week. We are so NOT traditional. I got DH a Cho Pat strap for his knee and some Injinji socks. He brought home a cake from Costco and we each ate a piece the night before letting the kids dig in. We went to a t-ball game with the kids for our 'date'. I came home and worked in the garden and DH worked on the basement.

My grandma also was put in the hospital this past week. They thought she had a carotid aneurysm. They kept her in for a few days, thinned things out and now think things are okay. I feel bad for my mom though because she has so much on her plate right now. Her lodge in Alaska opened, her dad is in a care center, her mom in the hospital, etc. etc. And I can really do nothing to help.

I'm going to google my knee thing a bit more tonight. I love having my computer back. And then it's off to work some more. The floor hasn't been cleaned since this morning and it needs to be done.

Positive Note- It is finally summer here and just maybe my peppers will start growing.

No comments: