Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's Quiet

My house is just so quiet right now.

I could clean. I SHOULD clean. Instead I am sitting here eating a bowl of fresh cranberries. What a life!

My friend from AZ came to visit this weekend. It was so much fun just hanging out with her. We didn't do anything extraordinary. But they were good times. My kids just adored having her here. We chat just about everyday. Still, there is something about having a friend in real life verses over the phone.

DH pretty much took charge of S this weekend. She has been on a crooked path for a little while. I have been trying to just keep going in the right direction. I was thrilled, however, that DH was the consistent one for the weekend and just let me check out. Yesterday she did one last test of her will early before preschool. I stayed calm and let her finally come around to choosing the right all by herself. It had to be boring on the time out can. Finally after an hour, she turned around and faced the wall and was quiet for 3 minutes. Time out was over and she turned back into delightful girl. I couldn't hold things over her head and try to persuade her into making the right decision. She just had to do it. And since then she has been great and more importantly, happy. And the knot in my stomach, the horrible pain that has been there for days, finally went away after she turned back into happy girl. I finally recognized the feeling from the past. The first year I taught school I had one really really difficult math class. It was filled almost entirely with boys that were very difficult and very far behind in math. I would feel sick every day before teaching that class. (Of course the stink bombs and the pictures of me with my head cut off via machete didn't help.) I think now that I know what is going on I will be able to combat that a little more.

I'm just so grateful for the break from the constant tension. I was telling my friend how magnificent and delightful S can be when she isn't in her control mode. She is so engaging and likable.

What else? C had the stomach bug thing on Sunday. I felt like mom of the year when I noticed things weren't right and managed to get a pan under her. That's tricky with a babe.

I learned to make bread yesterday. It was so easy. I have struggled forever trying to make it and it was a snap. Now I want to make it everyday. I'm sure I'll get over that ;)

The last of the tomatoes are bottled. My box is empty and I am glad. I love not having to buy them but I am ready to send my steamer to its home for the winter season.

We meet at the attorney's office tomorrow to go over the final details for the finalization. That is next Tuesday. It's an odd feeling. I don't really feel ready, yet we have been ready since before we met them because we KNEW that they were supposed to come to us. So we are going to go forward with faith and hope for blessings. What use is faith if it is never tried? I imagine how I feel when I want D to tell the truth so badly. I am just rooting for him inside. Come on D, just tell the truth. I so want you to feel that happiness. I am ready to give you a big squeeze. Just tell the truth. Well maybe something similar is going on in the heavens. Come on, you know it is right. Just do it. I want you to reap these blessings but you can't if you won't go ahead.

And with that deep thought I will leave and go load some laundry and put away the dishes. There is too much of everyday to stay deep for a long time.

2 comments:

vicky said...

I agree, it is nice to have a good friend actually there in person. I also wanted to agree with your deep thought. It helps to think of that sometimes.

Unknown said...

Hi H! I still haven't gotten consistently on your other blog because I can't open my google account- I've tried different combos but I guess I need to make a new one. Thanks for the continuous invites though! Your thoughts are as amusing as usual.
CHeers!
Shannon