Today a guy came to our house offering some fabulous deal. He would give us a fancy shmancy alarm system for FREE and we would offer to say nice things about it (because of course we would have nothing but nice things to say about it) all summer when they tried to sell more to our neighbors.
The guy was nice (and new to his job I believe, which of course made me feel bad because I had this idea in my mind that hard economic times and forced him from his previous job and he needed to get these sales to feed his family).
This is how it went. I am trying to get dinner ready when the guy comes. It's crazy Tuesday after all and dinner has to be ready and in the crock pot (am I really so old that I talk about a crock pot like it's a friend?). Anyway, so my house is a wreck (but this is not news) and he arrives talking about my friend a few doors away (while slaughtering her name) and how she was interested in this. (Yep, that's right. You learned from the Kirby salesman to get a referral). Now, I have to say in his defence that his product really was nice and that I'm sure it's great. What wasn't to love, especially from someone like me with a gazillion fears?
Anyway, now onto the funny part because in reality this is all I think I will care to remember in 20 years. T was practicing his violin when the guy arrived. This morning we had to take DH to work because he couldn't drive due to a nice sprain I will write about later. Because of that I softened up and bought doughnuts for breakfast and let the kids eat without practicing. But T knew what had to be done so he came home and got to work. The man arrives and starts giving his shpill. M then starts playing in another room. She too knows she needs to practice. T says good bye and escapes out the door. The baby tries to leave under my extended arm without any shoes to gather some not so new snow for eating. He comments on the violin playing and then also adds that we would need more coverage for our 'dynamic' family. Pretty much he was saying that we have people all over the place. D, who had already practice for the day, saw an audience that might give him a little more attention and started playing his taca variations, and then S, not wanting to be outdone starting sawing away with rhythms on her violin. It was a sight.
This poor man had no idea what he was getting into. I hope he can laugh about it later because I thought it was so dang hilarious.
And what was even more funny was that he originally thought I had an alarm system in my house because I have these 5 dollar 'alarms' that make noise when they aren't attached. I use them to tell me when a kid sneaks out. He wanted 45 dollars a month.
But I really would like an alarm system. Hmm..............
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was a funny story! I have weird things happen when I am pregnant. One time someone came to our house (out by you) trying to sell "peep holes". I sat there and looked at her like she might be the biggest idiot in the world. Why would she knock on someones door who obviously had a peep hole? I pointed to the door and said "I already have one." and closed the door. I walked down the hall proud of myself...then turned around and went back to my door. Nope...no peep hole. :)
yep...I WAS the idiot!
Post a Comment