I think sickness is inevitable in the winter. It happens. I used to try to avoid it but for the most part I don't care now. (Well, that is unless we are travelling and then I really do try to avoid it.) now that I type this I realize that I am so spouting off things that are not true. I do care. I don't like them to be sick. I guess all that I have done to improve is not worrying about every stinkin' runny nose.
Now I'll fast forward to my story. This past week I went to my little craft club and worked on making necklaces. I don't know what I will do with them as I don't wear jewelry. (Okay, and I did pick up my emerald finally after having it fixed. It's been missing a diamond for let's see, that would be about 3 years. I have my Niko ring back and now my finger is a little on the chunky monkey side for it. I'm afraid if I put it on for long my finger might swell and then I'd have to cut the dang thing off. Once again, the ring is in the drawer.) I don't even have a wedding ring on. (Once again, two damaged prongs and I haven't taken it in since I discovered that 2 1/2 years ago.) So now I have these cute things to put on necklaces and no necklace. Hmm... I do have a drawer.
The reason I mentioned this craft club is that C started saying her head hurt while I was there. She was getting pretty warm so I left and went home. Within a few hours she was throwing up on my new carpet. LOVELY! That night her fever was stuck above 103. I just couldn't get it to come down and she couldn't keep anything down for even 10 seconds. I tried 1/2 oz of water or ginger ale and within a few seconds she would toss it. It took about 12 hours to get her fever down. She was so miserable. I spent all night up with her because every 10 minutes or so she would scream out my name. The first few hours had me looking at her little miracle of a face. That was until about 2:30. Then I started getting really tired. I tried to keep her happy by holding her hand while I slept near her. It didn't work. She just wanted to lay on top of me. Well, once the barfing was done and she kept down an inch of popsicle I let her lay on me (with a big blanket covering me) just to get a few more minutes of sleep. I was so desperate.
Yesterday I took her to the docs because I thought she might have an ear infection. She didn't. Just a nasty virus. My friend kept D and S for me. They ran ....
STOP
I just stopped typing so that I could go check on C who has been calling my name from her crib. I kept thinking, "Kid. It's been 45 minutes. You are taking a nap."
She was thinking, "Mom. I have a pooping diaper and I just pulled it off in my bed." EWWWW!
At least she isn't giving up on the nap.
Back to the story.
I took D to school. He seemed fine. He had been playing like crazy. Then about 15 minutes after I had dropped him off I got a call from him. "Mommy, my tummy is really hurting. I'm going to throw up."
Well, when you have someone in your house that has thrown up you just can't ignore it. Once when T tried this I went to school, said he didn't eat enough lunch and handed him a banana and sent him back to class. But this time we have had sickness.
But the kid didn't look sick. He looked like a kid who wanted to go home and watch television. There is, however, always the thought that you send the kid back to class and your kid is the one that barfs all over. So I took him home.
Boy was he surprised. If you come home sick from school you go to your bed, not to the couch by the television. He went in there and got bored quickly. I took his temp and it was 98.2. A nice normal number.
Then when the kids walked in the door from school he came out claiming he was all better. Hmmm... it doesn't work that way buddy. Instead he got to stay in bed all afternoon and evening. I took him books and told him I hoped the rest was going to make him better.
When dinner came I took him some soda crackers and a little water. (Then I took him more soda crackers and water because I KNEW he wasn't sick and didn't want him to be super hungry.) And then he got to go to bed early.
This morning he got up and said he felt all better and it was like he 'almost wasn't even sick.'
Yep. I was laughing inside.
He was really excited to go to school today.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Applause!!! Masterful parenting, Heath!
Post a Comment