Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Mama Bear

I know Middle is an 'high energy' kid. He is definitely not the sit and hold still type of kid. DH and I warned his K teacher about this before school started and told her that if there are any problems to please communicate them to us quickly. Everyday after school he has said he was on green, meaning his card hadn't been pulled for misbehaviour. I was feeling victorious. Why was I feeling that way? It wasn't me in there behaving or misbehaving. All it was showing was that he would be better for someone else. It's not exactly a victory to know that your own kid won't be good for you but will be good for others. My bubble burst this morning when a friend told me that another friend's kid had mentioned Middle got in trouble at school. If this were a play the stage directions here would be 'Enter Mama Bear.' Immediately I got a little bit defensive of my baby bear. Instead of just saying something like, "Hmmm, thanks for the info." I explained that he had been on green all week, yadda yadda.

I think the fact that he might have misbehaved wasn't nearly as troublesome as thinking people were talking about my baby bear. I can handle people saying whatever about me but when it comes to the baby bears it's a different story. I walked him to school and quickly asked Mrs. A how he has been, if there had been any problems and she said none. I guess some kids in class have had problems but not Middle. I spent over an hour worked up over what another five year old told his mom who told another person. I don't think it's Middle that I need to worry about. It's me worrying too much about what other people think.

And with that, I am off to try to clean my house. I would just croak if someone stopped by and saw it this way ;)

No comments: