Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mom of the Year

This was Middle's sixth day of school. He was late. Of course there is a story behind this. Middle was supposed to start morning swim lessons today. We went and signed him up just last night. The kid was thrilled. This past summer he ended up with 3 days of lessons total due to a broken arm.

The morning went like this. Get up, feed baby, make pearsauce, bottle pearsauce, get Oldest off to school, clean Kitchenaid so a neighbor can borrow it to make applesauce, hurry excited Middle off to swim lessons 25 min away, realize while driving Middle's homework is not done, tell him it really is okay to do your homework at the last minute in the car, arrive at the pool, go wait for swim teacher, (this is all done prior to 10am), then wait.

We sat there and watched the old ladies in the pool bounce around. We sat and watched the life guard. I kept glancing to see if the teacher was coming. I notice that there were NO kids there. I didn't expect a bunch of kids because of a recent outbreak of Cryptosporidium. Kids under 5 aren't allowed in the pools right now. Still, there wasn't a kid to be seen. Finally I went to the lifeguard and asked him about lessons. He sent me to the lifeguard office where I was told there are NO morning swim lessons. I couldn't believe it. I just signed him up last night. They said they should have known not to sign us up. I went back to tell Middle that he was out of luck and there would be no lessons, that the quick rinse shower I made him take before was for nothing. Maybe we both should be glad. I would hate for my boy to have 'Crypto' but I wish they would have mentioned it last night so I wouldn't have made the trek. This pool had recently been closed for cleaning and so I thought maybe they had been declared safe or something.

So there is one vote for mom of the year.

Vote 2 came from Mom trying to buy Middle's happiness with a Happy Meal. Of course Middle was as happy as a clam with a new junk toy with a junk lunch.

Vote 3 was getting Middle to his 6th day of K late. The kid was 5 minutes late. I'll fess up and say the whole this was over a pair of 74 cent socks that I was buying youngest. Only mom of the year will stand in a line for over 10 minutes for a 74 cent pair of socks.

I get Middle to school, come home, get Youngest down for a nap, and then realize that Middle needed to have an apple for school today. I have 5 giant bags of them in my car to make applesauce. But Youngest was sleeping. I called a neighbor to see if she would sit in her front yard and make sure all was well at my house while I zoomed over to the school. I ran two apples in thinking that maybe leaving an extra for another mom of the year's kid would make up for me being a slackhead. I dropped the apple off and zoomed home. When I thanked my neighbor she informed me that the apples were supposed to be sent YESTERDAY.

Way to go Mom.

Did I mention I made pearsauce? That has to count for something. Right?

No comments: