Friday, December 14, 2007

A 'Grown Up' Party

First of all, can I just say that I was APPALLED at how many grammar errors were in the post on C's birthday. I'm not about to go and edit them though because I am sure I will want to laugh over it someday. I just don't know when someday will be.

Last night we went to a small work party. It was at a beautiful home about 30 minutes north of us. (Last night it was more like 50 though as it was snowing and traffic was very slow.) I have to admit I was antsy about going. We couldn't find a sitter so DH's sister was a dear and drove down over an hour to watch the kids. That is a real sacrifice and we appreciated it so much. I was not only worried about the kids, but also me. I have that fear of getting sick when the kids have been sick. It always happens when there is a stomach bug. Yesterday my stomach churned all day long. Part of it was the fact that I didn't eat much of anything for fear that I would throw up and part of it was just the simple fear of barfing in someone else's nice house.

The other thing that I HATE to admit is that in reality, I'm just not really super up for socializing with people who have lives. I asked DH what to wear and he said business casual. My thought was that I was in casual and that was velour pants that I patched because one spot started to wear and a tee shirt that was a decade old and only not stained because it's ugly enough that it doesn't get worn often. So business casual would be one step up from that. It worked out that a button down, jeans, and some hi heeled boots were fine. Still, there's just something about feeling like a frumpy mom, off to mingle with people who get out in the world that is bothersome.

Off we go. I warned DH of what might happen. I was armed with a giant cup in the car. In the end, my stomach was fine. The food was great. I was just hungry. Everyone was nice. People had funny things to say. But that wasn't the real end of the humor. What was our activity? Wii.

We played tennis and bowling. Only in my area would that be a real party. It was hilarious. (Oh and I won the bowling, way to go me!) I just have to laugh that we played wii at a party. A friend of mine wrote in her blog how her mother really liked playing tennis on wii and kepts saying she is 'sporty'. I finally understood.

The best thing though was the conversation with DH on the way home. We don't really have any kidless time when DH isn't tiling the hall and I am not trying to undo other damage. We talked about the house we went to was gorgeous, the television was fabulous (a 70 incher), the game was fun, etc. Then we both agreed we are content with what we have. It's nice to be content. Would I like to have some couches that don't scream, "We've seen better days!" Sure. Would I love to have an entertainment center that hasn't had the veneer picked off of it by kids? Yep again. But am I happy with what I have? I am. I'm so grateful to be able to be happy for others and their things and not feel like I have to have them. It has to be one of the greatest blessings to me and my family. I'm too busy to be trying to keep up with the Joneses.

But playing wii with the Joneses can be pretty dang fun!

2 comments:

spidermama said...

Hey! We went to a Wii party last weekend too!!

Except we played Guitar Hero and omg...it was so much fun. I want it now - but it is impossible to find. I guess I'll have to wait.

And - I got really good as the night went on; of course I also got a little drunker as the night went on. I bet that didn't happen at your party!! lol

discombobulated said...

Nope. In fact, someone was teasing DH's boss that there wasn't any Diet Coke there. He said it wasn't Friday yet ;)

I can imagine your kids having a ton of fun with a wii. Imagine that youngest of yours. She would be hilarious.