Saturday, September 27, 2008

Funny D

Today the kids had a practice for their program at church. A friend of mine said that D was so incredibly reverent. (She didn't comment on T so I am guessing that means he, um, wasn't.) She said when she looked at her watch and saw there were just 10 minutes left she decided to compliment him and tell him it was only ten more minutes. He told her he was doing it for the pizza (provided after). HA! Love it.

The big program is tomorrow. D and T have their parts memorized. M has her violin duet down. Now let's see if they can make it through.

I went to dinner with some ladies from church tonight. Then, instead of going to the women's broadcast, I came home and watched it on television. Which things stuck out in my mind? When I am feeling down in the dumps I need to get off my butt and find someone worse off to serve. The other thing was to make things beautiful. I don't know how successful I was at that one but I went and picked a bunch of tomatoes and bottled them.

Oh, and today we went to one of those bouncy places with a bunch of inflatables. I gave them each something they had to do to participate and S just wouldn't do it. So when the time came I didn't buy her an admission. I felt pretty rotten but had to do it. She said to me something about how she thought I really would still let her do it. I guess that's what happens when you are three. I would think the pattern is so well established that she wouldn't risk missing a fun activity. When we got there she told me that I was mean and she didn't love me. I just told her, "Well, I love you anyway." Later she told me, "I really do love you mom. I was just trying to get you to let me play."

We had another funny D moment today. Well, it'll most likely be funny in twenty years. This morning I caught T wrestling him on the tramp. I got on T's case immediately and asked him what he was doing. He was quite forthcoming and honest. (I always ask what the person was doing before finding out what the other was doing.) I asked D what he was doing and he said, "I didn't see myself do anything." So of course then I ask him, "What did you do?" In a drawn out whine he said, "Nothing." I asked him what T did and he told me just what T had already said. So D got to come inside and hang out on the couch. He kept crying and screaming, "I don't understand why you won't beleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve me. I have been telling the truth." "I have been a truth teller and you won't believe me." The list goes on. You get the point. Well, about 30-45 minutes later I finally get the truth out of him. He had hurt T first. Of course he tried to cover his bases by saying he didn't KNOW he was hurting T just that T told him he was hurting him and to stop. Hmmm.... okay kiddo, so what was all this talk about why won't you believe me. The answer is that you weren't telling the dang truth. This truth telling thing is a pain in the behind.

All of this also got me to thinking what I really want my kids to be like. We have had a little discussion on parenting on one of my messageboards. I feel a bit harsh but in reality how we are doing things feels like the only method of survival for our family.

How do I want my kids to turn out? I decided I want them to be people that enjoy serving others and want to be good when no one is watching. That about sums it up.

1 comment:

vicky said...

wow...you are strong to listen to the whining!