Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas day and the last few days

I guess before I start with today I should finish up my trip to AZ and the days in between. Niko's day was pretty good. Some of it was pretty funny. We were in the Sketchers store and a lady commented on how our kids were the best behaved kids she had seen in the store (it could be true, it may have been her first day). Then S tells her that it's Niko's birthday and so of course the girl asks if we sang to him. S responded very frankly, "Um... he's dead." Poor salesgirl. She just smiled. I mumbled something about our funky shoe tradition. But all five kids got shoes. M got these very blingish shoes that are enormous. I had no idea that girls' sizes and women's' sizes didn't line up. It was a frightening jump to see a big size in her shoe. T got the pair of 'rhinos' that he has been wanting for over a year. D then wanted the same shoes but luckily found some others when I told him that there weren't any in his size. S got some wide boots at Striderite because regular boots just didn't accommodate her broad foot. And C, she got the true Niko shoes. They are the cutest furry boots.

We went to the park with my friend Heather that day. She saw how S was a bit edgy. It didn't really matter because all the kids had fun there. C added to her battle wounds. M did some homemade exfoliation with sand. Heather's friend came too and she was pretty dang funny. I had the hardest time figuring out her accent. It turns out that she has lived in so many places that she just has her own sound. I always have a great time with their family.

We went to DH's extended family party that night. Things have really changed there. All of DH's cousins are really occupied with their own families and as a result there is less mingling. Still, it was fun to see them. I was especially excited for one of his cousins that had a baby boy with her that we hadn't heard about.

The ride home was less than ideal because we hit a bad storm. It seemed that there were cars that had slid off everywhere. One time this one car started to slow down and then got stuck right in front of another car that had slid off the road. DH just kept saying, "Don't stop. Don't stop." Of course, that was because a big giant truck was coming from the opposite direction and was going to hit us if we didn't hurry. We arrived home frazzled but safe.

Since then things have just been busy busy busy. There was much to do and never enough time to do anything. So we'll just leave that time at that and skip to today.

We finished last night after midnight. We were all tired from wrapping gifts and were eager to go to bed. Guess who was the first up? That would be M at just after 2:30 this morning. The kids had really bright flashlights in their stockings. It was not a brilliant idea for Santa. Imagine shortly after 2:30 when there are FIVE little kids with flashlights running around the house. The kids never went back to sleep and at six we all had to get up. The unlucky little kids didn't get to open presents too quickly though because C spilled foundation all over my brand spanking new carpet and it took about 30 minutes to clean it up.

The kids were thrilled with their presents. I would say M's favorite was her Project Runway projector. T's was his race track with cars from another gift. D's was his King Arthur castle, S's favorite would probably be her bit My Pretty Pony. And C loved her vacuum. I loved my gift from dh but we are going to take it back and change how we buy it. The cheap person in me is still tempted to just say I don't need such a great camera. DH liked his surprise from me and it was so fun giving it to him.

Overall it wasn't too bad. C is asleep on Jason's chest now and I think she has the right idea.

2 comments:

vicky said...

Sounds fun! So what did you get your DH?

discombobulated said...

I got him a garmin forerunner 305 to wear when he runs. I totally lucked out and his heartrate monitor died a couple of weeks earlier and that is how he usually determines how fast he'll run.