Sunday, February 27, 2011

What is winter doing to me?

I'm looking outside and I'm sort of seeing snow right now. It doesn't look like a snowy day but I swear I can see it from where I am sitting. It's kind of like when you are 5-10 years post bearing babies and are still swaying from side to side as you stand. I had T look outside and he verified that I am NOT going crazy. There are little itty bitty tiny snowflakes floating around out there.

This past week was busy busy. T had his swim meet. There was some confusion over some bad times posted and we were lucky to make it there. Fortunately I got that little feeling to check another place on the web and found that the time I had wasn't correct. Thankfully M was old enough to watch the kids until DH could get home from work.

When I got there I was asked to be the meet marshal. I didn't know what a meet marshal did but just told them I have a rather scatterbrained T who wouldn't just find his way to his events without an overbearing mother there to send him on his way. Lucky for me, the meet marshal can do just that because the meet marshal spends most of his/her time telling kids what to do. (Okay,... that's not the real description but it's what happens.) I was in charge of making sure things were safe. I checked the women's bathroom, sent people to check the men's room, roamed outside to make sure there weren't creepy people out there doing weird things, kept people from getting too close to the officials, and most importantly, watched the warm-up pool.

The warm up pool was where the action was. They had it in the deep end and this meet was for 12 and unders. So of course the kids do things non-stop that they know they shouldn't. There were kids jumping and diving in (only sit entries allowed). There were kids messing around in the middle when they were only supposed to be going back and forth. So in reality, I spent most of my time trying to get them to follow the rules in the warm up area as there were too many kids in that pool to be messing around.

The other thing we learned about 4 minutes before it started was that T was swimming and IM. I didn't sign him up for that. At least I didn't think I signed him up for that as I NEVER sign him up for anything involving breaststroke because he risks DQing on it. Anyway, the kid doesn't have a lot of mental prep time for the event. When it came to the 3rd leg he was a bit behind and got worried they had stopped the event. He stopped swimming and turned around. . And dang it, that's how he got DQ'd. He ended up getting DQ'd on his backstroke too. That one I can't figure out. I watched the race and didn't see anything. I'm wondering if he turned to his belly too early for a turn or something. He doesn't get DQ'd in backstroke. Then in his 100 Free his was doing great. He went out really fast and did the first 50 yards in about 40 seconds and then he spaced out and STOPPED thinking it was a 50 Free. Of course, the people on the other side were telling him to keep swimming. He lucked out and still got 3rd but boy oh boy would he have been fast if he had just done his flip turn and continued on.

The highlight of the meet however, was a big yummy sugar cookie given to all participants.

The next day M went back to school for her president's wax museum. She did a great job as Grace Coolidge. We managed to get her hair to look short and pin curled. She also looked pretty snazzy in a fancy red dress that was sort of like Gracie's inaugural dress. (I have no idea if she went by Gracie. I just read that her husband pretty much kept her out of everything.) The little girls loved the buttons on each desk that would 'activate' the statues. Both S and C thought they were really making them talk. One boy decided he was out of order for S so I went and hounded him and told him he could get back to working or tell his teacher why his button wasn't working. Amazingly enough, his button started working, but he did it in character and with a great voice. The girls loved it. M didn't love wearing fancy shoes to school all day though and complained about the 4 blisters she got. She had pointe class that day and that's not ideal when your feet are already sporting blisters.

Saturday we had Suzuki graduation. M graduated books 3 and 4. T graduated book 1 and D graduated Twinkles. Grannie came for the performance and then the kids were thrilled to get ice cream after. I noticed a few interesting things at the performance. Almost NONE of the kids there had any weight issues. It made me wonder. Is it a social thing. Is it that these kids have parents that are really involved with their kids. Do the kids just not have time to sit and play video games? What is it? I'm not saying music is the link to avoiding obesity. It was just an interesting observation.

Today was a great day at church. They divided the nurseries and we now have 3. Lucky for me, I now have NO criers. I think we can actually teach these kiddos somethings. It'll be awesome. I sort of feel bad that our criers have been moved. When they originally moved kids around I pretty much asked for some because I felt so bad that there were so many in one class. But now they are split and the older kids who can do a little more might actually be able to do something. Today in singing I thought, "Dang, we could really TEACH the songs now and not just sing them."

Good times here. Oh and the snow has stopped. Too bad DH has meetings with people from out of town both tomorrow and the next day. I know he's wanting to go board in the powder.

No comments: