Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Concert

A friend at DH's work has a son with cancer. He either was born with it or it appeared shortly after he was born I can't remember which. The brain tumors caused him to lose his sight but luckily he went into remission. Well, the big bad cancer bug came back to get him and has done so with a vengeance.

A few weeks ago DH told me that a country music group (not a local one... one of those Nashville types) was doing a benefit concert for him. We ordered tickets that night. We really wanted to support his family.

There were a few complications. The first was the fact that our youth have their activities on Wednesday. That meant no babysitters were available. After a few days of trying I ended up enticing one of our girls with easy babysitting money (kids in bed makes for easy work) and she didn't do her craft project. And heck, just in case the craft instructor reads this I will add in that I tried girls even in surrounding areas, married people, etc. Hopefully I will be forgiven for this one.

But even harder than finding a babysitter was finding something to wear. You see, I'm just a frumpy mom. I don't really go and do anything snazzy and as a result I don't have a bunch of snazzy clothes. I called up my good friend and asked what in heck do you wear at a country concert. She jumped right in and brought over some accessories. She looked in my closet to see how much I didn't have to chose from... sorry, mom clothes. But the best part wasn't the silver belt (I don't know if it was really called a belt as it didn't go through and loops... some decorative waist thingy... did I say that, yes something around my waist). And it wasn't the fancy earrings. It was the boots. R, my friend, said I needed boots and she wasn't talking talking my high heeled everyday boots. She meant the cowboy kind. And so she dug deep and offered up her HUSBANDS... hopefully he didn't mind. Yes, I wore her husband's cowboy boots. I'm laughing at it as I type it (and S who is in trouble for getting into the peanut butter is asking what I am smiling about).

It was a good concert. If you take out the symphonies that I go to it now makes up 50% of my concerts. DH's friend's son opened with a song about what he would like to do to cancer. He and his school aide did a great job on it. He was so excited for the whole night. He's a musical little kid with this fabulous attitude. DH's friend took us backstage to meet his friend and we also ended up saying hi to a few of the people putting the concert on. We were lucky to participate in the night. (Add in a little fresh grumble from S here.)

Another scary thing happened yesterday. A new little boy in our neighborhood got lost. His mom came looking for him because she hadn't seen him for a little bit. He's only a first grader but he is tall like a third grader. I drove around for quite some time and couldn't find him. I felt really bad leaving for the concert when he hadn't been found. I just kept worrying that he had been taken like the 11 year old in our old neighborhood in AZ. Right before the concert a neighbor called me to let me know he had been found pretty far from our neighborhood. I was so relieved!

Let's see as for the kiddos....

M worked on her paper mache and then little cabins made of wood chips from the front yard. It was a big mess but she seemed happy about it. Today it's painting time for it.

T had a good day at school. The no wizards101 consequence seems to be a good one.

D broke part of S's scooter. I told him not to borrow it because he was responsible for it. And he came home without some of the pieces. Fortunately, he was looking to buy himself a new one as his disappeared when he didn't put it in the garage. Now he'll buy her a new one and get one missing a few parts.

S had a great day at school. Today is not starting out so great but she has yet to lose sugar so I am still counting things as good.

C has marker all over her face. It's not coming off easily. So right now she is wearing monkey jammies, wearing goggles, reading an M&M book. What a kid!

4 comments:

vicky said...

HEY Heather...I am that kids wish granter!! SMALL WORLD! Where does your husband work? WOW!

vicky said...

ps...was the concert successful?

discombobulated said...

Super successful Vicky. He works at the only tall building in the southern part of the county ;)

vicky said...

ohhhhh...got it!
I didn't know they were still open.
Glad it was successful!