And if you can believe it the little ray was from little Miss S!
Something happened over the last few days and she has become manageable. I almost hate to say it for fear that things will change. It has just been so much more fun to be a parent with these little changes.
It could be us. We changed some things that were driving us crazy, things like her sitting next to the baby in the car. She has been pretty sweet and civilized since we moved her. DH and I were talking and we decided that maybe we can handle the normal toddler stuff because we have removed so many of the things that were driving us crazy. I don't know about that. She really does seem better.
I have to admit that it came at a price. Several days ago I told all of the kids they had to have their beds made before they could come out of their rooms. All but D grumbled a bit. But S, she just wouldn't even try. Now, before you think I am a miserable person I have to say that I don't expect perfect bed making. In fact, if a 3 year old can get things a little bit straightened out and the pillow on the bed then I count it. She has 'made' her bed a bunch of times and I know she can do it. I also know that she is always really proud of herself when she does it. Well, that day, my little S decided that she would rather not come out for the whole day. She played in her room and slept. She went in there at 4:30 (rather late for bedmaking, I know) and didn't come out except to go to the bathroom and try to get out of making her bed until the next morning. Then, the next morning she asked to have breakfast and I told her to make her bed. She did it in two minutes.
Fast forward to the next day. She played in her room for almost 3 hours because she wouldn't make her bed. (I don't care if she plays in there.) She didn't scream or anything. She just wouldn't do what I asked her. She finally made it in about one minute.
The next morning I asked all of the kids to make her bed and she was the first one done. AMAZING!
And today, she made it without being asked.
Now, this really isn't about bed making. I don't really care about beds. But she changed on me. She finally decided she wants to do what will make her happy. Even when she has had timeouts I have said, "Do you want to be happy or sad?" and she has gone in and done her 3 minutes quietly for the most part and then has gone about having a great day. We have had very few screaming matches.
She keeps telling me she loves me and although some of it is hogwash to get a drink or something I think that she is occasionally meaning it. The other nice thing is that her change in behavior is making it easier for me to give her the physical touch (hugs and kisses) she needs to make a real attachment. I can snuggle up to her and giggle with her and not feel strained.
Now D, he has picked up where she left off and is struggling again. But he still isn't as difficult when he is struggling.
What else? My basement is coming along. We took a bunch of extra wood to the dump today. I need to call and have an inspection scheduled. I can't wait for M and T to have their own rooms.
What other great things are going on. Easter is tomorrow and the kids are all very excited. D said that the Easter Bunny never visited them. He keeps wondering if the bunny is small or big. T thinks he is big because he hides them in places that are so high. I told them the bunny could be small and just a really good jumper. And M, she swears that she heard the bunny multiple times last year.
The baby is getting better. I still can't believe that she had a sinus infection and a double ear infection. No wonder she was so dang miserable in Arizona.
Life is getting better. I'm optimistic for the future. This is the most optimism I have felt in several months.
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment