Last night I decided to run on the treadmill. The dang thing kept slipping like crazy and made me feel like I was going to end up as treadmill kill of the back side. In desperation I asked DH for an assessment.
Now you need to remember that I am not one to ask DH a lot about running because I run like a turtle. He can really go twice as fast and it's just plain embarrassing to huff and puff. Desperation does weird things to you. So he came and watched me slip and slide on the treadmill. (He said he couldn't see it.) Anyway, the assessment came that I was all over the place and doing really crazy things with my legs. (No wonder I run into my running buddy frequently.) He suggested I try taking off my shoes.
I did and it changed everything.
The funny thing is that a couple of hours earlier I had been calling around looking for some Vibram Five Fingers. No one seems to have any that aren't practically little kids size. The company just can't even pump them out fast enough to fill all the back orders. I have a pair on hold 40 miles away that might be my size and might be a little too small. It's the best I could do. So it was funny to have found those, put them on hold, and then to have DH suggest running in socks.
Without shoes on I went much straighter. I was amazed at how I instinctively changed my form to now strike my heels. And even more amazing was the fact that the treadmill stopped slipping. I must be heel striking with mucho force. I didn't go far because I know it takes time to adjust to running barefoot. (Mentally it takes time too. I really don't want to be some freak!) It makes me really believe though that you can save your body from a bunch of injuries if you just allow it to work how it is supposed to.
So today I'll take the kids on a trek to find out of those 'shoes' are my size. It'll be a big fat bummer if they aren't.
Luckily, I always have my socks ;)
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment