Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Weekend Down

When I signed into Blogger I saw that I have 300 posts. I am really glad that this little blog exists. I never would have written about 300 anythings in the past 2 1/2 years and if I had, I would have stashed them here and there and lost them.

It was one busy weekend. Friday night I made funky hair things with some friends. I actually just liked using the emosser on fabric that would melt into shapes. It's really quite fun. I didn't go over until it was rather late so I didn't come home with many creations. Still, it was fun just hanging out with friends.

Saturday was really busy. I went to a fundraiser with a friend for the respite place we use. They do such fabulous work there and they really manage to do a lot with what little funds they have. We ended up sitting next to a really nice couple. The woman was cute and pulled out pics of her kids and grandkids. They were asking us about our kids and one time my friend (or maybe it was me... I am losing my memory...) said something about 'our' kids. It totally came across wrong and we started cracking up. They seem like 'our' kids because they spend so much time both houses but they aren't 'ours' as we are both happily married people.

When that was over we ran to Target to quickly return something. If you can believe it I managed to go into a Target and not buy a thing! It's amazing. That store always gets me for something.

I then called DH to have him check my Facebook account to see if there was a message there showing what time another friend's children danced in a competition. I had remembered her telling me she was going to be there from 7 something in the morning until 1pm. I was hoping to get there and catch the end of it. He checked my inbox and there was a message. The bad news was that I was already going to be too late. So I missed it. Luckily, she has two talented little girls and there will be other opportunities to see them I am certain.

Since I could make it back, my friend and I did a little more shopping away from home. DH had both of our kids. I got C a new outfit at Kohl's. I can't believe my 3 year old is out of the toddler section there. She is just too dang tall. I had to buy her big girl size 5 clothes. It's not all for height though :) . I came home and passed a little time cleaning up this and that and then had to go to a violin rehearsal.

Sunday was busy as well. I had choir practice as well as one last violin practice before we played in church. I had a cold and things sounded a little muted. I don't know if it was decent when we finally played it. People said it was great but I have no idea how honest that was. It sounded kind of fuzzy to me.

And this week has continued to plug along. S shifted out of her funk recently. I took pics because her eyes were so sparkly and alive. I showed DH when he got home from work yesterday and he said he could tell from the picture that it was a good day for her. Maybe those mood regulating meds do work. I sure hope so. When we tried taking her off of them things got so dang ugly. It gives me hope that maybe she will be able to handle life again and feel joy.

We had violin lessons on Monday. M memorized a gavotte that she didn't need to memorize. Oops! T had a few rythym issues with Minuet 2 and D surprised the teacher with half of a new song memorized. I talked with the teacher about having M audition for a county wide orchestra associated with the county's main symphony. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Of course, it makes me all excited to think of M in this string orchestra (her age is too young to be accepted into the symphony). The group even practices on one of the only days M does not have dance. It's resonably priced and they are going on tour in Europe next summer. (Of course, she would need her mother since she would only be 11.) Additionally, another student might try out who has a sister in one of the older groups. This girl's sister drives. (Now that makes it really enticing.)

So now the downside. The kid is only 10. She already has dance many days a week, violin lessons once a week, and daily practice. Is it too much to add an orchestra to the mix? Do I want to become the mom who has kids that are so busy that they can't enjoy life? Or will it be really fun for her and a way for her to develop her talent (the one that I hope, with good grades, turns into a college scholarship someday)? It's that whole which things are you choosing? Is it good, better, or best? It's for certain a good thing. How can it not be. Generally most string players are kids that are studious, hard working, don't get in trouble, don't have time to mess around, etc. It's not a bad group to hang out in.

Anyway... choices,choices. Maybe when the conductor emails me back he'll just say that she isn't advanced enough to audition. Then the decision would be made.

I was feeling pretty good yesterday and then today this cold came back for revenge. I have felt awful all day. It doesn't matter though because when you are a mom there isn't a break. A storm is supposed to come and so I got out today and mowed the lawn and spread fertilizer and week killer.

M learned to ride a Ripstick today. She wants to go to the bank and pull out some of her savings to buy one. It's okay with me. That's what they save for. She really does have it bad though because we only buy her things in the winter as her birthday and Christmas are near each other. So anything she wants the rest of the year she pretty much has to buy herself. I would love to just buy her everything but I don't think it teachers her much. This will be her second biggest purchase after her American Girl doll.

T is still suffering through his consequences of playing with matches. Tonight I was laughing because I went outside and he, D, and a neighbor girl were having rolly poly races (that is totally misspelled). They had three, Bob, Billy, and some other bug. Bob, apparently, was the big one but he was too dang slow. Billy was small and speedy.

D is excited about school ending. He reminds me everyday how much time is left. Tonight he fell apart over S getting to the sink to brush teeth before him. But he isn't back there still screaming so we have made improvements.

S, like I said, is out of her funk. I don't know how long it will last but will take it for as long as I can. She has a new friend in the neighborhood and is thrilled about it. S told me that although her best friend thinks baby dolls are dumb she doesn't. I'm glad she will stand up for what she likes. (Of course, the fact that she truly believes she is right in anything could play a part here.) Maybe this will be a good personality trait for her future. She's trying to learn to ride a bike. So far we aren't having a ton of success but I think it'll happen.

C has been ever so three the last few days. Today she got into some of M's play makeup. She used S's toothbrush to mix the purple eyeshadow with toothpaste to make a nice lilac paste. Then she put it all over her face like it was a mask. Whatever kiddo! It's not going to kill her.

And that is pretty much the last few days. Like always, it's nothing fabulous or noteworthy. But it's our life and I think that someday it'll be useful to have things recorded.

No comments: