Barefoot Ken Bob or Kenbob I can't remember is the guy who beat DH in his first marathon. We didn't know who he was the first time.
Today I understood him a little better. He went from that crazy guy I saw beat my DH (darling or dear today) to a super sensible guy.
Let me go back.
The running doc told me to buy a pair of neutral shoes to have zeroed. That I already went over. So last night after I dropped the kids off to dance I jetted over to the running store to find some cheap shoes. I figured I would go cheap because I have to pay to zero the puppies out so why pay for fancy insides that I am going to have scooped away.
I ended up loving the Saucony Kinvara. They weren't cheap but not overly spendy (90 buckaroos) but they are LIGHT! The guy who sold them to me had me try on a bunch of shoes and these were the best. I think they only came out a little over a month ago. The saleskid said he wears them and loves them. Then, the guy who rang me up said that he had a pair of them zeroed out and loved them. (Supposedly they only have to be zeroed by about 5 mm.)
Then the cheap side of me surfaced. Did I want to pay 20 bucks to have them zeroed if they were almost zeroed by the makers?
So this morning I took them for a run. They felt good when I left the house. I was striking a little hard. And now and then I would catch my feet. And then about a mile and a half out I got that stupid your missing cartilage knee pain.
Big flashing lights went off in my head. That means bad knee tracking. TAKE OFF THE SHOES!
I asked my friends to stop and sat down on the curb and took off the shoes. I carried them as I ran the next two miles in my socks.
Knee pain disappeared.
I'll be getting them zeroed. Obviously it does make a difference. And if I get them zeroed, put in the pricey orthotics and my knees hurt I am going to have to ditch both of them for the flat mangled marvels that God gave me because even my less than perfect feet are pretty much better than what any man can create.
See, when I said I took them 'for a run' I really meant it.
(Oh, and I won't be telling the boys that I decimated a pair of socks this morning. They don't have to know that.)
Friday, August 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment