Thursday, August 5, 2010

Swimsuit Issues

With a blog title like that one would assume I was talking about chunky monkeyness. But for once I am not.

Yesterday we had a busy day. I went to breakfast with friends to celebrate a birthday. Then a friend and I took all our kids (so 8 total) to a very small dance store to torture ourselves while we got M and her friend new pointe shoes. They had to try on about 15 pairs of the things and it took a very long time. An hour and a 106 dollars later we left with some Grishkos that look stunning on M's feet.

I came home and got the kids ready to go to dance. S had her first day of ballet. I also gathered up all of our swimming stuff because I was going to take the kids swimming after M and S were finished with their classes. We were also taking a neighbor friend.

We grabbed dinner and went to the pool. The boys went their way and I took the girls. Everyone had to change into suits. Of course I supervised first and then changed.

And then I realized that instead of a swimsuit top and bottom (and shorts of course) I took a regular swimsuit bottom and a swimsuit skirt. Note to anyone who didn't figure it out yet. I had NO top. I had no top and SIX kids 10 and under all dressed to swim.

So I sat on the side of the pool in a swimsuit bottom, shorts, and my regular old shirt. It was a long night.

Then some old grouchy guy told T he couldn't swim laps. For the most part, Mr. Grouchy was swim walking in the lap lane. So I went down to what appeared to be two nice younger (20 somethingish) guys in the next lane who were chatting it up and asked if T could swim a 100 there and that we had permission for him to use the lap lanes. They were more than nice and I think Mr. Grouchy heard since he was listening next door and then finally decided to take off in a slow swim. One of the nice kids asked how old T was and thought he did really well for a seven year old.

The kids were all happy to swim I was happy to have tired little kids who went straight to bed when we got home :)

As for today, S has had a rough day. Maybe she can't handle going swimming at night with the late bedtime. T dropped his piggy bank and it broke. Tears ensued. He's so big I forget that he's still a little kid. He loves pigs though and would take this little plastic bank everywhere.

We also got invited for a fun trip to Lake Powell yesterday. I hate to say that I actually had conflict in saying no. It would have been so fun. The conflict was T's baptism. And I really wanted to say, "Ah, we'll just move the baptism." But what kind of example would that have been to a kid who is excited for HIS special day. So we said no. In the end I know it's the right decision but it would have been so dang fun to go to Powell with a bunch of friends for the weekend.

Oh and in other news, I finally paid my library fines and checked out some books. Let's hope I can get my good citizen act together.

That's where we are at. DH's workload should decrease starting this weekend. It'll be nice to have him around. Between his trip to Alaska and his job demands, he pretty much hasn't been around for 3 weeks. It'll be nice to get back to 'normal'. (Whatever normal is ;) )

No comments: