Sunday, August 1, 2010

Good Quality Time

DH and I don't watch a bunch of television. In fact, it has probably been about a month and a half since we sat down to watch anything on our tv. (I have, however, watched So You Think You Can Dance over at a friend's house most weeks using the DVR... so much faster.)

Last night we were both wiped out. I had taken 4 of the kids plus a friend to the pool. (S couldn't go because she spent a good chunk of her time before we were going to leave screaming at the top of her lungs at me.) DH worked all day except for the time he took S on her date to see Beezus and Ramona and to get an ice cream.

So after dinner I told the kids we would take the scriptures to dad because he was working anyway. I parked my behind on the couch and just didn't want to move it. After scriptures and prayers I started mindlessly going through the channels.

I, of course, checked out TVLand. I love that channel. But I kept going. I found something kind of like Spanish Language Station's Got Talented Kids. I paused there and watched for a while. DH laughed because he thinks I am crazy when I watch Spanish tv. But it's close enough to French that I can usually figure out what is happening. Then I found the show that captivated me. It was called "Tuna" on the history channel. Yep, I spent a chunk of my night watching a show about the tuna fish. When a commercial (or commercianal as D calls them) would come I would go back and watch the Spanish speaking talented kids but they just couldn't outdo the tuna. So that's how I spent my night.

As for other things yesterday..... I took 4 of the kids (C missing this time) to my friend's little girl's baptism. She was the cutest little (or not so little) thing. I french braided her into a nice crown before it started and she looked like a little princess. And being the sappy person that I am I shed a few little tears.

After, DH took S on her date and the kids and I stayed home. A while later, after the huge crowd had died down at my friend's house I took them down to get a treat. I knew if there were extras D and T would try to clean them up and make it easier for them to not have leftovers. The kids were thrilled to have a whole bunch of things I don't ever keep around. They had cake, cookies, Doritoes, grapes.... the works... oh and more dessert.

The kids had fun at the pool. T does laps to earn diving board time. Earlier this week he managed a 1 1/2 off the board. It was an accident. Usually he just does flips. S managed to float for 24 seconds on Thursday. We said D floated for 1 second but really he just didn't sink until then. I think swimming might be good for him because maybe he'll learn to relax. He'll think he's relaxing and he just can't. And with swimming if you can't relax you are going to sink like a heavy weight. He tries really hard but it just doesn't work out of you are tense. So I'm wondering if going a few times a week (membership until Dec. at a rec center) will help him learn to calm down in the water and maybe that will transfer to land.

August is here and school starts this month :) I found out who M's teacher is and it's KILLING her. But I'm not telling her. It's not fair to her friends.

Ballet starts this month. So we are back to 5 days a week there. It'll be something to break up each evening a little bit. S is especially excited to start.

Summer is going to end and life will get super busy. And I'll probably start wishing we were back in summer. Nah, I don't think so.

No comments: