Today marks three years since we brought S and D to our house. Quite a bit has changed since then. They've both changed quite a bit and I would say the rest of us have changed just as much. Although I would guess they might always wonder how things would have been if they had been able to remain with their birthparents, I think they like our family. They both will occasionally say in their prayers that they are thankful to have a family and parents.
Some of the things I have learned are
-Love takes action. You learn to love those you serve.
-Kids need more of the things no one wants to put time into and less of what people want to buy them.
-As 5 kids get older their time to get buckled in the car decreases.
-3 car seats at once is much better than 5 car seats at once.
-Mom and dad have to figure out how to be united on decisions even if they don't agree.
-Negatives usually have some positive somewhere.
-When you think you know what you are doing you realize that you have no clue.
-The first therapist isn't always the best.
-Over scheduling causes crazy moms.
-Waking up to the kids practicing is great but can almost drive me crazy!
-Kids need parents who will follow through on what they say both for the good and the bad.
-Plastic mattress covers are a necessity.
So we didn't end up celebrating much today. S had a talk to give at church. I was working on it with her. Before church I went and got her dress out and had her get dressed. When she came for me to button up the back I noticed some spots on her back/neck. I looked a little more and noticed more. So we headed to my friend's house and she confirmed my suspicions. S has a breakthrough case of chicken pox. Before bed she was up to about 200 spots. I read up on them and I guess breakthrough cases usually only have 50 or less spots. I'm just telling myself that if she didn't have the vaccine she would be one of those kids covered from head to toe.
What's funny is that right before I buttoned up her dress I told DH how I was excited for last week to be over and to have an easier week. What was I thinking? Now I am just going to hope the other kids don't get it. They have all been vaccinated but obviously that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. T has 3 swim meets in the next 10 days and M and D have big time Nutcracker rehearsals. So it looks like S will be staying home most of the week.
So it's going to be a busy week after all. But I might just feel lost if it weren't.
Sunday, October 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your life lessons summary is painfully true. Three years is a long time to be on the front lines. You are a veteran in your own right, Heather.
I loved your life lessons list too! Especially about the carseats. We'll have FOUR carseats in January, but at least B and M can just about buckle themselves completely if they aren't wearing puffy coats!
Post a Comment