Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mad Science and a Date

Yesterday my niece had a Mad Science party to celebrate birthday number eight. The kids were really eager to go.

We drove the hour to the party and arrived a couple of minutes late. I thought C would have a hard time going straight from sitting in a car to sitting in a chair watching experiments. Boy oh boy was I wrong.

She was seated with a row of other girls. All of the girls near her (aged 4-maybe 7) were sitting there with their heads propped up on their hands. C was so alert. She was leaning forward on the table really into the experiments. I don't know where she gets it. (I'm not a huge chemistry fan. Give my physics any day though.) All of the kids really were having fun it just was 1pm when most kids get that afternoon low.

I have to wonder if we didn't have a Mad Science trainee. She seemed a little surprised at some of her very own experiments. It doesn't matter though. The kids were thrilled.

We zoomed home from there (another hour back) just in time for DH to change clothes and for me to pick up the babysitter. DH and I had ballet tickets. We got the babysitter situated and then started up the same freeway we were already on. (We ended up on that freeway for almost FOUR hours yesterday.) We met friends for dinner after driving around for about 10-15 minutes looking for a parking place in the structure. I guess it was sort of Valentine's for all the people here who won't go out on Sunday. My dinner of a salad, meat, and salsa was heavenly. That sounds crazy but it was and I know it's because my meat wasn't lean enough for me to really eat on this dang diet. It was nice tender meat which means there was fat in it and plenty of it. And dang it, that's why it was so good.

We then did the find another parking place thing at the ballet and made it in with just a minute or so to spare. There were more men at this performance than I have ever seen at the ballet. I guess they were willing to sit through it to create a nice early Valentine's present for their sweethearts. It was quite a production with great staging and beautiful costumes. Quite frankly, I think more men could handle the ballet if they would just fix the guys in tights issue. It's really like a nice play in which you don't have to be annoyed by anone's voice.

Then home we went after getting DH two double cheeseburgers without cheese from MickeyD's. Of course he doesn't eat the bun and that makes it complicated but he seemed full and for him that is really important because he gets grouchy when he is hungry.

It was a long day but we came home and the kids were all asleep and the babysitter was still alive. I'm so grateful that DH is willing to get season tickets every year. I know it isn't his favorite thing to do but it means a lot to me that he'll spend some time with me doing something I love and he doesn't. He's a great guy!

1 comment:

Erika Amonett said...

Hurray for dating! And dating with your sweetheart! Dating has become a lost art form in our house...it's kind of like trying your luck with those chemistry experiments. ;)