Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Real Groundhog Day

The title really has nothing to do with this post. Quite frankly, I just didn't have anything better.

But to go with the title, I guess we have more winter coming our way.

I will keep this one brief . (That is most likely a lie that I will not come back to delete as I am long winded.)

The victories today-

-lots of laundry done
-dishes done
-floors swept
-books read to kids
-had neighbor girls over this morning and let them play

The unvictories (not a word, I know)-

-visit to the principal's office for one kid in the family
-finding out that D can't handle his ballet class
-C wore a sweater that only has one button as a shirt all day with her belly exposed. (We didn't go many places and it wasn't worth the fight.)
-more of the same ol' everyday stuff

I really felt like I was handling my day. Then I found out D has been struggling in dance. (That doesn't bother me. You don't have to be excelling in everything to be happy.) While I am on the phone the kids come home and D tells me he had a little bit of a bad day at school. He ended up in the principal's (don't forget he's your pal) for pushing the dance teacher's son of all people. UGH!

This is the deal. D is a nice kid down inside. He's tender and hard working. When he is anxious, annoyed, frustrated, mad, etc. he goes primal. I think occasionally he can get himself out if the motivation is really high. But unless there is a really good reason he just can't seem to do it and he gets physical or he rages.

Tonight I talked to my MIL who is also one of those pal principals and sought her advice. I felt a little glimmer of hope after talking to her. D's principal most likely knows of the struggles that come with a hard beginning of life. MIL gave me a needed boost to keep on plowing forward. I can do this. I have to be in this for the long haul.

A few other highlights of the last day-

M- finally let me help her after she fussed and fussed on a new spot for her violin piece. When she started playing it she got tears in her eyes. I don't think she could play something in which she shifts back and forth. She did it and I was so proud of her.

T- wore shorts after school today. I thought it was warmer than it was. Weather.com said it was 29 degrees. He also let my neighbor use eyeliner to turn him into a puppy because the little girls wanted him to be a dog.

D- wrote a cute cartoon book and had cartoon characters peeking out from each letter in the title. He also did one cartoon picture for each of us in the family and thought hard about our interests. (See... he can be very thoughtful when he isn't primal.)

S- made me laugh today. I handed her a bar of soap to wash with before she got out of the shower. She got dressed and then complained of feeling icky. She didn't rinse all the way. I took a time out for me when I went to get her from school and we cozied up and I read her a book. She really liked that.

C- thinks hot chocolate counts for lunch.

2 comments:

Erika Amonett said...

I love reading your posts. You make me feel so normal!

discombobulated said...

I do my best :)