Thursday, January 17, 2008

Humbling Reminder

Today I needed a little reminder from a friend. I was asking this friend for advice on how to more easily survive my days. She has a very active and challenging little guy and has learned a bunch.

I mentioned to her that another friend dropped off a little birthday gift and told me she was going to start taking the kids 2 hours a week so I could have a little break. I had, of course, protested telling her everything was fine and dandy and that I could handle it. Okay, I don't think I mentioned fine and dandy. I just hate to be an imposition on someone. I mean, really, these people didn't sign up to help me survive the first six months of transition. I was the one who signed on the line. Back to my story though before I lose my desire to once again fess up how I was humbled. My friend took her phone and I guess pretended to whack me over the head with it. She reminded me how just last week I finally dropped to my knees and told Heavenly Father that I could not do this by myself and that I needed help. And then help came my way and I said no thanks. It was a dose of humble pie I tell you.

But it was also hopeful. It gave me that little reminder that my prayers are heard and answered (although I really had hoped the answer would be miraculously great behavior and no problems at all). I was reminded that I really did have somewhere to turn and then I needed to follow through and not just go on back to being my normal self. I put on a *gasp* cassette tape of animal songs that I had as a little kid (and yes our 'stereo' system still has a cassette player, but heck, it's a double one). I danced a little bit with each of the kids and we had a grand time.

And then I got to work and cleaned the girls room so all the toys can go in the closet. I'm putting a lock on it and will be giving M a key so she can get her toys but also keep them protected. I just can't stand for S to ruin all of her American Girl stuff. Luckily she has a walk in closet that will store everything.

S never took a nap, nor did she sleep much last night. She was sick much of the night. I thought for certain that she would be exhausted today. No such luck. She was just more wired and cranky.

Positive Note of the Day: She did go to sleep easily tonight :)

No comments: