There was an activity packet for kids going around online. I thought the whole thing was fabulous. The kids have something more at their level. They are involved in some way. They are busy and somewhat quiet and I can listen to what I need to hear.
That's a bunch of bologna.
I printed out an activity with people's pictures and a tie. When that person spoke the kids were supposed to color the tie to match.
This is how it went (give or take a few dialogues):
"Mom, is this that guy? I can't find so and so. My white crayon won't show up on the blue. C is coloring all over mine.... (waaaaaaaaaaaaaa crying involved here) How much longer. Mom can you show me where this guy is."
D asked me if this man (speaking on television)
was this man in the picture.
Do these two look alike at all? I just it would be so easy for them to match the visual on television with the picture. I was so wrong.
It was NONSTOP chatter. They were twenty times louder than normal. Finally I sent them outside to play. The whole thing backfired. And now, well, I laugh because it really was funny.
Then this afternoon I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a book using a gift card that a friend gave me. I called her to tell her she may end up being responsible for saving my family. That's quite a birthday gift. I bought the book "Parenting the Hurt Child." I actually read part of "Adoping the Hurt Child" while I was at the bookstore. I couldn't believe how it seemed that they were writing about my S. Someone finally really knows her. (Granted, this person has never met her. But still, she was described to a T in that book.) I have some new things to try and some things to discuss with the therapists.
I also bought my kids dresses to wear to DH's little sister's wedding reception. I hope they look cute enough. I got them on sale at least.
Did I mention I managed to 'run' 18 minutes yesterday. I might have gone a little more but a big scary dog got in my path and I turned a little early. Still that's my longest run since last summer. It's not the five miles I was doing each day when I moved 7 years ago but it's a start.
Little S did better with her meals today. Yesterday she just couldn't stop eating. The little thing, at three, downed 3 1/2 Costco sized apples and then wanted dinner. Her tummy was hurting so much after that she couldn't let herself slump while sitting on the couch. I made the mistake of telling her that if she had to throw up to do it in the bathroom. DH reminded me that we don't want her thinking she can undo things so easily. He had her sit on the tile so that if she did it we could clean it up more easily. She looked so uncomfortable. Today she mentioned it several times and tonight after she had eaten plenty for dinner I told her she could continue to eat as much broccoli as she wanted but not any of the other stuff. She decided she was done before she made herself sick. Sometimes DH is way smarter than me. Maybe he's just away enough to be able to see the whole picture better.
We played a staring game tonight and it was interesting to see how hard it was for D and S to stare and keep eye contact. I did it with everyone and so we all got a bunch of practice. We need to work more on eye contact. T thought scary noises would make me look away. Silly kid.
Positive Note- Other than the great book and the dresses.... D had a pretty good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment