Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Bummer Deal or a Tender Mercy?

The sitter I had hoped for isn't going to work out. I found out last night and well, I was pretty bummed because I really was hoping for a much wanted vacation. (I almost said needed... but really it's wanted.)

But then I got thinking that maybe it's actually a bit of a tender mercy. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal recently about DH's company looking for buyers. This could really change his job status depending on who buys what. Who knows, maybe he will be out of a job sometime in the nearer future and the money we would pay a sitter as well as that which would fun the trip will need to go to a house payment.

It looks like there is a backup sitter if we are interested. But as much as I want a break, I don't know if it is wise timing. We've had a couple of breaks since we got married almost 17 years ago. We took a 4 night cruise when T was one and then we have had a couple of staycation type of nights nearby. So I shouldn't complain. The timing was just a bummer because S has been a big fit thrower and D has gotten himself into a couple of very long cyclical tantrums in the past few days. But as much as DH and I both have wanted to get away I think it might be a bit of a relief to not be worried about spending the dinero when jobs could be up in the air in the future. (This is just my thinking... it's nothing official.)

What else? M survived her first long day of dance and really liked it. I love that kid. She came home and did some extra stretching and did her chores without complaining. She's going to grow up to be awesome. Today at her violin lesson, her practices got extended to an hour a day. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems a bit excessive for a 10 year old. She didn't complain or anything but it seemed like a lot to me. But then again, I have never been one for practicing.

T is excited for his swim meet coming up. He is certain he can have a fabulous day today because it's the only way to get his Ripstik back.

D started dance again yesterday but the class was too advanced for him and the instructor's son. She wants to move him down a level. I totally get that but I just don't know if I can squeeze in the activity without the carpool. I have some thinking to do about it. I made sure he knew she thought he really did a great job but that it was just too difficult. He has been struggling lately and I am less than sure what to do about it. The tornado is out in full force with the same things being repeated over and over again until they are blown all out of proportion. He's not happy when he gets like that. And today he got himself out but it took over an hour. I have to go outside and let him just scream at himself or it just doesn't seem to stop. My attention has to be gone. But thankfully, it's a nice day out and wasn't too hot. Plus, my friend was trying to ride her daughter's new Ripstik and it was pretty dang funny.

S has really had her good moments. She has loved searching for strawberries. She was thrilled with her new shirt I bought last night that says 'Love' on it. She giggled and giggled with the neighbor girls as they played some ghost game.

C has been sneaking any food she can get. I think she has had 3 boxes of raisins this morning. I'm sure the consequence will hit eventually. C loves hanging out with the five year olds in the neighborhood. I guess she figures that she must be one of them because she is their size. Today she asked what she was and I said a toddler. She gave me grief about that. I guess she doesn't think she is a toddler. I then said, "A preschooler that doesn't go to preschool." Hmmm... she didn't like that either. Sorry Charlie! That's all I have got.

No comments: