Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The One that Kicked My Keester

So I decided to be adventurous tonight and took an advanced adult ballet class at some other ballet school. I thought it would maybe keep me entertained until my class started back up.

Entertained is not the word.

It was torture and I am not certain it was the good kind.

By the end of plies I was sweating like crazy. I may not have ever mentioned that I go bright red when I am working hard. There's nothing like a deluge of sweat in the first 5 minutes to make you feel confident about the rest of the class.

The other tricky thing was the instructor didn't give just your basic front side back you lost more of your brain cells with each kid you delivered combination. They were all mixed up with so many different steps. And to make things worse, everyone else had done the combinations before so I pretty much had to figure them out from her marking them.

She kept saying, "Cross your fifth. Cross that fifth tightly." Um, have you seen the difference in the size of our thighs lady. Trust me, I am trying to work it. There's just only so much I can do.

I was so exhausted that I almost left after barre. But my pride got in the way. So instead I muddled my way through center. To give you an idea of how hard it was I will just say that she said to just throw in a triple or quadruple turn in the middle of the turn combination. Ummm... I could do a quad on ONE side in my prime. That's it. And I am not in my prime. There were a bunch of 'kids' in there that may be in their prime. They were pre preggo not even a ring on the finger kids.

But the class was even too hard for some of them.

I didn't leave frustrated though and I am glad. It's good to realize what your limitations are. A couple of the people in that class kept saying to come back but I am wondering if it would be better for me to take the intermediate class. The downside is that I would know nobody. I did know one person from my other class that sort of recruited me for this one.

So now I need to think, do I want to take that class because it's one heck of a workout or do I want to take an easier class where I can actually do things properly. It was a workout. I left with salt all over my skin just like after a really long run. I know I am going to be sore tomorrow.

But it didn't feel pretty. It just can't when you are flopping all over the place.

Hmmm... what to do?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so glad you actually did the hard class. Good luck next time. :)