Friday, May 2, 2008

Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

Today was a really random day. I was in charge of decorating T's teacher's door for teacher appreciation week. I spent much of the day working on it while trying to keep little paws off of it. It turned out pretty cute. There is a reason, however, that I was NOT and elementary teacher. I'm just no good at bulletin boards and cutesy things.

I felt like I needed to call my grandma today. It turned out to be a really sad call. She was home from the hospital. I guess my grandpa went in last night with congestive heart failure. It was bad enough that when he wanted to leave last night, the ER doctor told my grandma if he went home he would die overnight. She sounded so lost. She said she was looking everywhere for their will and couldn't find it. In my mind I think, he hasn't been himself for a while and my grandma has had a hard time taking care of him. But still, it would be so lonely after being together 50 years. I called my mom in Alaska to find out more details tonight and my mom told me that my grandma had been in the hospital (this according to my aunt) stroking his face pleading with him to not die. That just makes me so sad. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. My mom said she thought they were going to try to get him stable, take him off his meds, give him meds to make him comfortable, and send him with hospice. Do I take the kids out of school and drive the five of them 11 hours each way myself? Do I let it go and say that the time spent with him while living is what is important? Out of all the little kids in the world, he picked T to adore. I don't know why T was so drawn to him. He was starting to get grouchy by the time T came around. Nevertheless, T would run right up to him. When my grandpa reached the point where he had no desire to get up, shower, and take care of himself, we would announce a visit and he would do it because T was coming. UGH, I hate making decisions.

I did a 40 minute run tonight. I would have gone longer but I was home and I had seen a big scary dog loose earlier in our neighborhood. It was a gorgeous night. I figured out my splits when I got home. I can't believe I can be that slow. I keep thinking the calculator has got to be wrong.

Tomorrow we have a race at the kids' school. It'll be D's first race. I hope he has the courage to be happy with his effort.

And with that, I am off. I need to make sure M's running clothes are washed.

Positive Note- NO SNOW today!

1 comment:

Sheral Wilson said...

I hated watching my grandparents, mom, etc. get old and frail - it's a bunch of crappy decisions that seem very selfish. You know? I'm sorry, though... it stinks!