Saturday, May 31, 2008

Stubborn will be good someday

But for now, stubborn isn't such a great thing.

S has been screaming for over two hours because she doesn't want to go to bed. She is exhausted and is just so determined to not sleep. Tomorrow she will be wiped out and will undoubtedly wake up by 6:30. Right now she is telling DH that the dryer bell went off. Somewhere down the line she must have gotten attention for these negative behaviors. Her therapist told me she will only do things if there is some type of payback to her and that eventually she will learn that there is no payback, no attention for negative behaviors and only for positive behaviors. It's just taking her a very long time to learn. She just won't chose to give up her control even if it is making her miserable. The therapist has told me many times that it will be very challenging for her to relinquish her control. She really things she is in charge of everything and can take care of anything. It's hard to believe at three she feels that way. As a result, she just doesn't give up. It's going to be good someday. I keep telling myself that. But when you are tired, the stubbornness doesn't exactly rank high on the list of qualities you are admiring.

On a more positive note, I was able to get her hair in two french braids today for the first time. They were really cute and she liked them a lot.

I went to the ballet with a friend today. I had a great time. I need my friend time. It seems that there isn't really any of that anymore. It was nice to have a few hours sans kids. I have to thank DH for that. He was so kind and watched the kids much of the day. I'm really grateful as I am already feeling frazzled after the cries tonight. It just doesn't break him like it does me. Maybe it's because she screams, "Mooooommmmmy." I think she knows she has a better chance of breaking me.

DH did great in his race today. It was his fastest 10k yet. He ran a negative split by I think about 3 minutes. WTG DH!

I found an AWESOME deal on a bike today at a garage sale for T. I decided that we couldn't buy T a brand new bike because it just doesn't seem fair for D to always get a hand me down bike. So I have been on the lookout for a great used bike. The patience paid off and today I found a bike that retails for over 200 bucks and was in almost new condition for 20 buckaroos. The only problem was I had five kids in my car and couldn't get the thing home. T had to ride it, in his jammies, with mismatched flip flops over two miles home. He was so thrilled.

D moved up to the bike T outgrew. He is a tiny bit short for it but it still seems like a better match. He really likes riding it and did a really good job. He didn't give up quickly at all. I keep having to remind him to look forward instead of at the ground. He's thrilled.

I also bought another baseball mitt so the boys can play together, a snake and lizard book, some jeans for M and some Jazz shoes. I think I got all of that for 25.50. I could really get into garage sales. I would prefer to do them without five kids next time though.

C said the word bubbles for the first time today. She seems to be picking words up quickly now.

Lastly, T lost his tooth finally. YIPPEE, we are going out to dinner on Monday night. Once again, the tooth is lost somewhere on his bed. I guess the toothfairy will have to do without it.

No comments: