Friday, May 28, 2010

Practically Giddy

The first full day of summer vacation is done! I am now more than one percent of the way to the next school year. They practiced their instruments this morning and then were less than thrilled to be served quinoa. After that is was on to math work. I was going to wait until Monday and then I decided I didn't want them to say, "But we didn't do it last Friday!" So math it was. I don't feel too bad about this. I think they should get a little school work and 30 minutes of reading every day. There is no need to veg in front of the television all summer.

Then I dropped the kids off and went to my ballet class. I think we have the teacher convinced to do at least a one day a week class in the fall. I'm thrilled about that. Until then I think I'll take a night class at a different studio.

The afternoon disappeared. We had neighborhood kids over. Boys are wild! I'm thinking I am going to have to put a few more rules in place. I did add one today. If you are visiting and don't help clean up the toys you played with the next time you come over you are told to come another day. I just can't have the play and run thing all summer times sometimes 5 kids.

The boys had a total of 3 friends over today and M had one over. It gets busy.

DH came home in time to watch the kids while I attended M's dance class. This is the time of year we are allowed to watch one time. Things are coming along and she is improving. I have to figure out how to help her engage her muscles a little more. But I don't want to be the pushy stage mom. Hmmm.... what to do.

The best news of the day is that I might just have a sitter for my kids for a week this summer. I told DH I had been working on it and so he is now scouring vacations for us. Right now a trip to Montreal is in the lead. It's not super spendy but would seem more exotic than a trip to somewhere like Vegas. Oh and they speak French there... well, it's not quite the same French I used to speak but I should be able to make it work.

That's where giddy came in. I might get a vacation. I might get a vacation. (All of that is said with the neener neener tone of voice.) So I am hoping the details will work out. DH and I were gone for 4 nights over 6 years ago and since then we have had a couple of overnighter vacations. It's just hard to get someone to watch a bunch of kids for several nights in a row. And the kids are more than thrilled with the choice of sitter. So I am hoping it all pans out. We would be happy. The kiddos would be happy. And hopefully our sitter wouldn't be terribly unhappy.

So that is where things stand. I got my 3.1 miles in this morning including running my big ol' long hill without stopping. My overall time was good for me and the first mile and a half were the fastest I had ever run. We'll see how tomorrow goes when I need to put 7 miles into these legs. But first I need to yard sale :)

No comments: