Yesterday M had her birthday party. We had around 15 little girls hanging out here. I had this idea that they would make a classroom set of valentines. I spent forever cutting the paper as some boy (that would be T) disassembled my paper cutter and lost part of it. I borrowed a bunch of stamps from a super crafty neighbor. I had this idea. The girls would layer a plain color with a cute stamp on top of the super cute patterned paper. Then they would color in the stamp and make it all cute. Hmmm.... these girls liked to just stamp away on the cute paper. It made them not so cute and I commented to one of the little girl's mom who was waiting. She laughed and told me that her daughter had told M how cute they were. I guess it doesn't matter if they were my idea of cute if the kids that age think they are cute. The party wasn't long enough though and we sent kids home with ice cream in a cup. My cupcake creation wasn't stellar but it wasn't horrible and the kids all seemed happy as can be.
We had some big break downs from the two that are most inclined to have them. One hung out with DH upstairs and the other saved hers for later. At one point I called a babysitter to see if they could be watched. She said she could and then called back and said she couldn't because she forgot she had a big assignment due on Monday. I don't know if was a good thing or a bad thing.
Then, last night we went over to some friends' house and played Carcasonne. They had invited another couple and their kids over as well. The three men all work at the same job and have gone wakeboarding together. I was thrilled that the 'new to me couple' was plenty friendly and easy to get along with. Sadly, they are ditching our state and moving to AZ. We still had plenty of fun though and stayed until about 1 in the morning (or maybe that was when we got home... I don't do well with remembering things that late). So anyone who knows us well would know that we must have been having fun because we are strict 10pm bedtime people.
Sunday was Sunday. (Profound I know!) My choir did well enough singing. Our bishop did a fifth Sunday lesson on hope. It was a good lesson for me as I have been feeling a little on the hopeless side (hence less blogging). It just seems like every day gets stuffed with the same stuff. How many times can I write those things before it feels like I am caught in time? Anyway, I left church with a bit more hope, at least hope for the eternities and the possibilities then. But the best part was after church when I had a packed house for choir practice. Okay, it was at church... but I had a ton of people there. This choir job isn't my cup of tea quite frankly. I don't sing. Well, I sing, but not well. I have never been in a choir and can't keep to the alto part (my range) for any song without somehow switching to soprano. Even worse is the fact that I HAVE to depend on other people for this church job. It's not like I can just go and sing some solo with my icky crackly voice. So I often feel apprehensive that we will have enough people there to sing. Once, last year, we had a practice before singing at church and I had one soprano and that was my own daughter who has a little girl voice. Luckily, when it came time for the real thing many people showed up that had come to a practice or two. Still, it totally stresses me out to have to depend on people. You can imagine how relieved I was when we had something like 25 people at practice on Sunday.
One other interesting thing I found out at church is that there are more people doing 'my' diet than I thought. Everywhere you look there is someone doing it. One lady with whom I talked was worried about the luau they are planning. "What if nobody can eat?" I told her not to worry. Plenty of people at a luau will be eating :)
Sunday was Sunday. (Profound I know!) My choir did well enough singing. Our bishop did a fifth Sunday lesson on hope. It was a good lesson for me as I have been feeling a little on the hopeless side (hence less blogging). It just seems like every day gets stuffed with the same stuff. How many times can I write those things before it feels like I am caught in time? Anyway, I left church with a bit more hope, at least hope for the eternities and the possibilities then. But the best part was after church when I had a packed house for choir practice. Okay, it was at church... but I had a ton of people there. This choir job isn't my cup of tea quite frankly. I don't sing. Well, I sing, but not well. I have never been in a choir and can't keep to the alto part (my range) for any song without somehow switching to soprano. Even worse is the fact that I HAVE to depend on other people for this church job. It's not like I can just go and sing some solo with my icky crackly voice. So I often feel apprehensive that we will have enough people there to sing. Once, last year, we had a practice before singing at church and I had one soprano and that was my own daughter who has a little girl voice. Luckily, when it came time for the real thing many people showed up that had come to a practice or two. Still, it totally stresses me out to have to depend on people. You can imagine how relieved I was when we had something like 25 people at practice on Sunday.
One other interesting thing I found out at church is that there are more people doing 'my' diet than I thought. Everywhere you look there is someone doing it. One lady with whom I talked was worried about the luau they are planning. "What if nobody can eat?" I told her not to worry. Plenty of people at a luau will be eating :)
No comments:
Post a Comment