Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How's this for habit development?

Hmm... let's see. I wasn't mom of the year today. T's foot was feeling a bit better AND I drove them to school. How's that for sweet?

We got off to a rough start today. I can't remember what started things (oh actually that would be waking up but anyway) but D was struggling again. Now this is the thing. We expect this when there is change. It would almost freak me out a bit if the transition back to structured life went easily because he would be harder to predict. He was having a hard time staying out of people's business so as I was putting C's shoes on I asked him to go out front. (We were about a minute away from leaving.) Oh no, there was defiance and then he said he wouldn't go to school. Well little guy, that isn't going to work today because lucky ol' mom gets to go and spend 2 1/2 glorious hours in the dentist's chair while he rips a crown of and gets things ready for a new one. But I was also low on time because like every other day, things were stacked closely and I needed to drop them off, head for respite so C and S could be watched and then immediately go for my spa treatment at the dentist's. My reply (which wasn't a great one) was that he pretty much only had two choices because I couldn't wait around. He could go to school and hopefully have a fun day there or I could take him to the police station because he's legally required to go to school. Outside he went willfully. Then I found out he was climbing the stone on our house. It's a big no no and he knows that. It's destructive. I quickly explained that I wouldn't be able to let him go to a particular friends house for two days because I need to be able to trust that he won't climb on their rocky exterior. (Theirs is already breaking from climbing kids.) He proceeded to just kick the back of my seat in the car as hard as he could on the way to school.

The short story is that he is grounded from friends for a few days while he works on proving to not be destructive. School wasn't super fabulous for him either but he did make great strides with owning up to some behaviors there. It sounds crazy but that was my super proud moment. It's so dang hard for him to admit any little thing he has done wrong and so for him to admit a bigger thing is HUGE. His teacher is so wonderful with him.

A friend reminded me though that it always gets worse before it gets better. So there is the good news. It's getting worse and worse and if tonight is any indicator of the future, I think we may be on the getting better phase of this round. People just don't understand him and I can't say that I always do. But he CRAVES structure. Life has to be so predictable for him to feel comfy cozy. If we let him get away with things once in a while or stretch the rules it almost seems too much for him to bare. You can see why the holidays just aren't so great for him. I'm glad we'll be able to hopefully give him more of what he needs now that we are back to 'normal' life.

When I left the dentist's office today the receptionist asked me if my mouth was too sore. She knows life has been crazy for the last couple of years (not how crazy it really is... just crazy 5 kids with a couple that are adjusting kind of crazy). I told her it was fabulous. I got to watch an entire movie only being interrupted to open my mouth more or turn my head (and I barely heard that through the headphones). I managed to make it all the way through Sense and Sensibility. It's pretty dang relaxing to have your mouth drilled on if you can watch that movie. I noticed this time that House is in it. It took me a few minutes to realize where I had seen him.

M and I had a little time to practice her violin tonight. She was trying to keep up with a 6 year old on youtube. There are some awesome little players out there. Her teacher wants me to send her to Suzuki institute next year. It's just so dang spendy for a kid who will have barely reached double digits in age. (The teacher also always wants T to go but I am not sending him yet.) One week of institute is close to the cost of an entire years worth of lessons. I don't think we can send her unless she shows that she is really dedicated. She needs to know that it is a sacrifice for the whole family if she goes, both in time and money. My thought is that if she can get into the concertos in book 4 then just maybe I'll try to scrounge up the funds to send her and if not the camp can wait. But I did have fun watching her play. She told me she wants to take her instrument to music to play Devil's Dream of all things (fiddling tune). I asked her if she didn't want to play a new gavotte or something instead. (It's that bit of pride that I carry that I need to ditch.) She's not interested in showing off. She just likes Devil's Dream. And I just love that about her. This kid doesn't have to be better than other to feel happy. I'm a lucky mom.

What else? The rest of the day consisted of everyday things. Boring boring! Every time my mom calls she asks what I am doing and it's always one of two things. It's either the laundry or the dishes and that pretty much sums up a chunk of the rest of the day.

And look at this. My boring day is written down. That makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Oh and I should do the periodic reminder that I don't edit these, nor do I go back and check the grammar. I'd never blog if I worried about that.

No comments: