Monday, January 4, 2010

Just to keep up

It's not that I have much to write. It's more like I need to write to make it more of a habit and this little blog will have to suffer through whatever comes off these fingers.

The kids went back to school today and I was crowned mother of the year once again.

There's more to the story of course. It started yesterday when D was having a rough day. Maybe it was anticipating going back to school. Maybe it was too much sugar. And maybe, just maybe it was simply time for a breakdown.

My morning started with T coming in sobbing because D had hit him in the face right where his face had that not so friendly meeting with the street. I cuddled T a bit (mainly because my bed was warm and I didn't want to get out). I figured that T had done something to encourage
D's behavior. T's a tease (what a sentence that is) and he most likely needs to learn to cut it out so that D will stop punching him, choking him, jumping on his back.... you get the picture.

So I'm not doing any massive blaming although I know that as much as T needs to not tease, D needs to not try to hurt people as much as he can.

And so the day went. We went to church. The kids all wanted to sit on my lap. I only have one dang it so the rotation started. I made sure I had D on there for a while. I wanted him to feel safe and hopefully help him to get over his grouchies.

That didn't work so well. The day ended with him threatening to hit DH with the broom.

So maybe we have a vision problem. DH is 6'6" and D isn't even 4' tall. Someone that small might pick a fight with T but he doesn't pick a fight with someone two and half full feet taller than himself. Then he zoomed into the bathroom and grabbed my Tarte makeup that I adore. It's thrashed because C got into it a long time ago but I still love it enough to use it almost everyday. He ran out the door and tossed it into the garbage. Like I said, he can't think when he rages.

And after about an hour we had a breakthrough. DH saw that he had his CTR ring on and mentioned something about it. D mumbled what it was and then some of the anger started to disappear. He managed to break away after only about an hour. That's really pretty good. D has a really sweet side to him. He can be so kind and helpful when he wants to be. I know he feels bad after having a horrible rage because he tries to make up for it by going overboard with kindness. I wish he could be reasoned with more once he starts cycling. But he really can't and I need to remind myself that there is no reason in that behavior and that we need to try to stop it before he lets it get out of control.

We may be the only family in our area that ends up with a year supply of CTR rings as part of our year supply.

So during all of this T rolled his ankle and started limping around. We iced it and it seemed like he was still pretty mobile.

This morning he appeared to be limping when I was around but once again was moving quite well when I wasn't 'looking'. So I sent them off to school. Then I find out from a friend that he was really in pain and limping. I let the kid WALK to school with a bad foot when it was about 20 degrees outside.

After telling the story and laying my guilt out on the line for a friend I was told that not only was I mother of the year but enough of one that I deserved a great sash. What comic relief. I may just have to make a sash and wear it on days when I feel like that. It could be my guilt sash.

I picked him up after school and he was still limping but not horribly. It made me feel better and the kids were happy to have a ride home. He even said that swim team was his favorite part of the day. The foot can't be hurting too much if swimming was the best party.

Well, either that or it was hurting so much all day that swimming laps was the best thing he could come up with.

I hope it wasn't the latter.

No comments: