Wednesday, August 27, 2008

D's First Day of Kindergarten

After having a couple of kids start school you tend to have expectations about how the first day goes. In our house it usually includes perfect hair, perfect school clothes, a nice meal in the tummy, a walk to school, and a few tears from mom.

I thought that is how some of our day would go. Then two days ago the people at S's preschool called and told me that she HAD to come in for her assessment. I informed them that D had his very first day of K only two hours later and they said it would be no problem because the assessment would be easily done in an hour.

I'm sure you are all starting to see where I am going with this.

Here's how the morning went.

Everyone got up cranky because no one would fall asleep last night including me.

T didn't have his homework done. (How can we have such bad habits after only a week?)

T and D were fighting over cleaning their room.

I shoved T out the door with a piece of bread in his hand.

I tossed C into the tub to try to get the rest of the diaper ointment out of her hair. Mission accomplished.

I made D get in the shower and then later S.

We zoomed out the door to S's assessment.

I put D and C in the daycare at the assessment center.

S passed the vision test.

S got mad at a kid for looking at her while waiting for the cognitive test.

We were randomly assigned D's therapist for an evaluation. (I didn't even know he would be there.)

S refused to play the 'games' that her tester had for her.

I chatted it up with D's therapist while S tried to distract me and tried to keep from doing the test.

The first alarm went off.

Everyone ignores it. Then we are all ushered outside.

D and C are somewhere on the campus without me.

I keep checking the time because D has Kindergarten.

We finally get in and talk to someone who reviews our results. I try to inform her that we are in a hurry and she doesn't seem to care. She must have been the head honcho or something because people kept asking her which copies of things they should make.

She says that S didn't score well on the verbal part. I look down and it says that she flat out REFUSED to do it (later she tells me she just didn't feel like playing).

That lady finally lets us go and we head to the dental. I tell them she just went in for a checkup (true) and they let me go.

Luckily the next people let me go with a promise to get the lead level in her tested.

I realize we have 15 minutes to make a twenty minute trip.

I find a daddy juice (juice pouch) in the back of the car and some left over pretzel crumbs from a month ago.

D gets that for lunch as well as two suckers I had in the front seat. Had I had ANY idea that we might have a fire alarm evacuation I would have come up with something better than two suckers for lunch.

We get to school five minutes late. D's hair hasn't been combed. He's using the violin lesson backpack from the front seat. My camera has no batteries AND I forgot his homework.

Oh what a day! I can't believe I sent him on his first day after having a lunch of smartie suckers.

And he loved it. The day was great for him.

No comments: