Tonight at dinner M was talking about how excited she was to have the basement done. She asked DH if he could have the insulation all done in the next day or so so that we could have the 'sheeprock' done. She didn't get it even when we giggled. DH asked her if that meant the walls would go baaaa.
DH told the boys they had to have under their bed clean before dinner. We were outside checking out the garden when D came out and claimed they had finished. He sat down to the table and asked for a bunch of bell pepper strips (fresh from the garden) because he is the self proclaimed pepper boy. T was also ready to eat. Boy were they surprised when DH told them to go back and finish. He told me to go and peak at what they had done. The entire middle of their room was covered in stuff. All they had done was move the stuff from under the bed to the middle of the floor. A huge portion of it turned out to be trash. Crazy boys. They really thought they could get away with it. DH and I learned to be a little more specific.
I asked S what her lesson was about in her class at church today. The first thing she told me was graham crackers. What a turkey. This food thing is going to be hard to figure out. She was easier today and I think she was also happier. She was actually really pretty funny today. She was doing somersaults over and over. She grunts in between each one.
Oh and lastly (and slightly out of order) I have to mention our garden. It's OUT OF CONTROL. The cukes weren't growing so I planted extra. They have since taken over. The problem is that the plants are so dense that I can't find the cukes. I also found out today that one of my 6 packs of red peppers must have been mislabeled because I am growing chilies. That's okay because my bell peppers are producing like crazy and I have a bunch of them (although I could eat them every day and that is why I wanted 12 plants). I'll have to figure out what to do with the chilies. Most likely they'll just go in salsa (oh and they could be some other pepper like a banana pepper or something). I need to get out there and plant a bunch of carrots for fall.
As for the trees and berries, they are doing their thing. We are having problems with C picking blackberries when they aren't ready (YUCK!) and getting blackberry juice all over her clothes. Maybe it's cheaper to just buy the berries in the store. The peaches seem smaller this year. Maybe we didn't pick enough off our tree. They are already getting red spots on them and are not a whole lot bigger than giant apricots. That advice that your tree will generally yield about the same if you prune it more makes sense. Last year we pruned like crazy and had HUGE fruit. This year they aren't so huge and we didn't prune as much. We did pluck a bunch of the baby fruit off though. The tree is still loaded though. Our mistake.
The pear tree looks good. Actually, the tree itself looks pretty ugly. The branches are all droopy and covered in fruit. But the pears, they look good. We should just have about a month on them. They seem to be just about the size they always are. We do get grocery store sized pears every year. I'm hoping that the peaches and pears can make it so we don't have to buy much of anything (except maybe my dear pink lady apples) in September and early October.
A neighbor kid came down to see us during dinner time. T invited herself in and told us she hadn't had dinner. She helped herself to some green pepper and was about to have a potato when her mom, my good friend, came over. She had sneaked out.
And with that I end. DH needs to check his results from yesterday's race.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment